Saturday, September 19, 2009

Jiu Jitsu Training..

So I have missed a couple of weeks of training, but I was able to make class today. I felt great over all. Saturday is normally a review day but for me I learned a few new things.

First we I learned a new throw. It is referred to as a suicide throw because if you miss it you can end up in a bad position. This one the steps are relatively simple. You switch your grips so you have both hands on the others arms and you step that side. Then pivoting to that side you bring your trailing leg in past your planted foot and basically fall to your stomach if done correctly it send the other over you with relative ease to their back. Done incorrectly you are face down with the other on your back. Bad position to be in.

After that we worked some Rear Naked Choke (RNC) escapes and then some various choke options from side mount. After that we got into some rolling.

First I rolled with one of the top students in class, Bill. It was kind of back on forth until we got to the ground. He got me into his guard and I had to work a lot from there trying to escape and pass and avoid him taking an arm. After several minutes I managed to avoid an arm bar but fell right into a triangle. I blanked on the escape for it as it has been a bit and not something I have done a lot and was forced to tap.

My 2nd roll was with another student. Again from the feet, I looked to try and implement the suicide throw learned earlier ( he was late to class and not there for that lesson) but he shifted his feet so I abandoned it. Then a few moments later he went to attempt the throw himself, as he learned it earlier this week, and it lived up to its name. As he went to fall down I slipped past him and was almost able to take his back but he scrambled well and I manged to take full mount. I went at first to look to go for a traditional arm bar but he kept his arms moving and did not give me much to go for and I tried to keep busy and avoid my tendency to rest in the mount. I decided to try a collar choke of various kinds but he kept his hands well defensively and would not take the bait when i gave him a chance to roll to his side for one of my favorite choke I then trapped his left wrist and went for the Americana, It took a few moments but I was able to lock it in and apply pressure and he finally tapped.

Lastly I rolled with my instructor. We started from our knees which is a classic starting position for training. And since he always yells at me for not being aggressive enough at times. So I went to try and do a short throw and missed badly and after a scramble managed to end up in his guard. After several failed attempts trying to pass I managed to scramble ended up on my and had to fend off the side mount. Eventually I ended back in his guard. After about a dozen attempts avoiding getting arm bar-ed I managed to pass and was able to get into mount. From there I was able to slip on a collar choke (with a slight adjustment from my instructor) and end that session. Now I know that makes me sound pretty good , but when rolling with his students especially with me if I use my strength and no technique I either get tapped or he will just stalemate me and make me do things over and over. When correct technique is used he rewards us by letting us complete the maneuver. He for the most part can let it go on as long as he wants or as short as he wants. But I learn a lot.

Over all great Session.

No comments:

Post a Comment